The COSETI Observatory
Pulsed Laser Beacon Signals
- The ideal signal processing system consists of a fast optical detector and photon-counter, capable of resolving pulses as short as 1 ns duration. Nuclear particle counters may be adapted for this purpose. Pulse resolution should be 10 ns or less.
- However, if data is collected and stored for every short time-slot, the storage requirements could easily exceed many terabytes per observation session!
- For this illustration, the overall photon detection efficiency from the ETI transmitter to the terrestrial photon-counter is assumed to be a very conservative 1%.
- Beacon detectability for large & small telescopes (9512-001)
- Attention-getting beacons and wideband data channels (9408-002)